To begin the application process, you will need to fill out the State application (STD 678), the AG Honors Program and/or Earl Warren Fellowship application form and provide all other application materials listed below.
Completed applications and all required documents may be submitted electronically through your CalCareers account at www.jobs.ca.gov (JC-80702 or JC-80725). If you choose to not apply electronically, a hard copy application package (postmarked by October 23, 2017) may be submitted by mailing it to the address listed below. We will not consider incomplete applications or applications submitted by email or fax.
Candidates selected to move forward in the process will be notified regarding interviews in November 2017. In-person interviews will be scheduled before the end of the year. Applicants will be responsible for covering their own travel expenses. Six to ten individuals will be selected for the 2018 program, though the number of positions available will depend on staffing needs.
Applicants who receive an offer must complete the Graduate Legal Assistant or Deputy Attorney General California civil service exam and score in a reachable rank (1-3), be a member of the California Bar or take and pass the California Bar exam, and pass a fingerprint check. Applicants must complete the applicable civil service exam by March 31, 2018.
If you accept a judicial clerkship for the 2018-2019 term after you have submitted your application, you must withdraw your application by writing to the below email address. We regret that we cannot put applications "on hold" or make offers for the following year. Please consider re-applying at the conclusion of your clerkship.
If you have any questions, please contact your career services office or email@example.com.
Completed Examination/Employment Application (STD 678) and applicable or required documents must be submitted to apply for this program. Completed applications and all required documents must be received or postmarked by the final filing date in order to be considered (October 23, 2017).Incomplete applications or materials submitted by email or fax will not be considered.
If mailing, please send your completed application packet to:
Department of Justice
Attorney General’s Honors Program
Attn: Emelie Tang
1300 I Street, 7th floor
Sacramento, CA, 95814
- State Examination/Employment Application (STD 678 ).
- Completed AG Honors Program and/or Earl Warren Fellowship application.
- Personal statement (and additional statement if applying for the Earl Warren Fellowship)
- Writing sample, no more than 15 pages
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your legal work. At least one letter should be from a law school professor.
- Law school transcript (unofficial transcripts will be accepted)
- September 2017: Application period begins
- October 23, 2017: All applications must be received or postmarked by this date
- November 2017: Candidates selected for interviews will be notified
- November/December 2017: In-person interviews will be held
- March 31, 2018: Complete the Graduate Legal Assistant or Deputy Attorney General examination if you are selected for the program
- September 10, 2018: Program begins