To begin the application process, you will need to fill out a State application (STD 678) and the AG Honors Program and/or the Earl Warren Fellowship Application. You will also need to provide a resume, a writing sample, a personal statement, two letters or recommendation, and law school transcripts. Please see "Application Checklist" section below for more detailed information.
Completed applications and all required documents may be submitted electronically through your CalCareers account at www.jobs.ca.gov. If you choose not to apply electronically, a hard copy application package (postmarked by November 7, 2018) may be submitted by mailing it to the address listed below. We will not consider incomplete applications or applications submitted by email or fax.
Candidates selected to move forward in the process will be notified regarding interviews in December 2018. In-person interviews will be scheduled at the beginning of January 2019. Applicants will be responsible for covering their own travel expenses.
Applicants who receive a conditional offer must complete the Graduate Legal Assistant or Deputy Attorney General California civil service exam and score in a reachable rank (1-3), be a member of the California Bar or take and pass the California Bar exam, and pass a fingerprint check.
If you accept a judicial clerkship for the 2019-2020 term after you have submitted your application, you must withdraw your application by writing to the below email address. We regret that we cannot put applications "on hold" or make offers for the following year. Please consider re-applying at the conclusion of your clerkship.
If you have any questions, please contact your career services office or email@example.com.
Completed Examination/Employment Application (STD 678) and applicable or required documents must be submitted to apply for this program. Completed applications and all required documents must be received or postmarked by the final filing date in order to be considered (November 7, 2018). Incomplete applications or materials submitted by email or fax will not be considered.
If mailing, please send your completed application packet to:
Department of Justice
Attorney General's Honors Program
Attn: Joseph Luna
1300 I Street, 7th floor
Sacramento, CA, 95814
- State Examination/Employment Application (STD 678 ).
- Completed AG Honors Program and/or Earl Warren Fellowship application.
- Personal statement (and additional statement if applying for the Earl Warren Fellowship)
- Writing sample, no more than 15 pages
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your legal work. At least one letter should be from a law school professor.
- Law school transcript (unofficial transcripts will be accepted)
- September 2018: Application period begins
- November 7, 2018: All applications must be received or postmarked by this date
- December 2018: Candidates selected for interviews will be notified
- Early January 2019: In-person interviews will be held
- September 9, 2019: Program begins