

Department of Justice (DOJ)
California Law Enforcement Telecommunications System (CLETS)
Standing Strategic Planning Subcommittee (SSPS) Meeting
December 13, 2022
10:00 a.m. (PST)

Meeting Minutes

Meeting was called to order 10:10 due to technical issues by **Ashish Kakkad**.

Maria Cranston took role due to **Ashish**'s technical difficulties

1. **Ashish Kakkad**- San Diego Sheriff's Department
2. **Kirk Beardwood**-Department of Justice
3. **Diedre Todd-Miller**- Department of Motor Vehicles
4. **Justin Riedel** -Sonoma County Sheriff office
5. **Adam Vallejo** -Riverside County Sheriff office
6. **Laura Cerda**-California Highway Patrol
7. **Tracy Webber**-Menlo Park Police Department
8. **Joey Williamson**-Hillsborough Police Department

Maria Cranston:

8/11 member in attendance, quorum is present.

Members not present

Kim Honciano- San Mateo Police Department

Timothy Craney -Riverside District Attorney Office

Lisa Marie Gerard- San Francisco Department of Emergency Management

Other Subcommittee Non-Members Present

Milad Dalju- DOJ CLETS legal counsel

Maria Cranston -CLETS Advisory Committee Executive

Chris Blair-SSP Staff support

Ashish Kakkad:

We will start with housekeeping then I will hand it off to DOJ.

Maria Cranston (asking members to identify themselves to help with meeting minutes)

Ashish Kakkad:

Asked everyone to vote on meeting minutes from October 25th, 2022.

Motion to approve meeting minute.

Joey Williamson and **Justin Riedel** approved.

Milad Dalju: Suggested public comment before voting.

No response

Ashish Kakkad: Were there any opposition or anything that was found?

No response.

Can we consider a blank slate to start with?

Justin Riedel: Agree

CLETS strategic plan:

Diedre Todd-Miller: I did not see any mechanism, that would allow to follow up on goals.

I would like some way of identifying goals and where we see these goals to be in the next year or 2.

Ashish Kakkad: I agree. It needs to include some type of reporting mechanism. Anything else?

No response.

FBI CJIS Security Policy

Ashish Kakkad:

Moving on to policy 5.9.1 it was not release last time, but it has since been released. I would also like to talk about 6.0 and make sure they align with the policy.

Maria Cranston: 5.9.1 corrected that it was released. At the recent CLETS meeting they discussed 5.9.2.

That discussion was about service providers and how can we leverage those.

Ashish Kakkad open to the floor?

No response

Ashish Kakkad:

What is the agency perspective? I would like to consider potential education and ongoing webinars, with major releases only, as part of strategic plan recommendation. Can DOJ host those trainings?

Joey Williamson: This was already done in a Statewide project, where DOJ provided training and it proved to be helpful for transitioning.

Justin Riedel: From my experience with lots of turn over and with all the changes, it is helpful to have these trainings.

Maria Cranston: Sheriff Honea (*not sure about sheriff's name spelling*) mentioned a lot of new sheriffs have made a request for DOJ to provide a training, so this might be across the board.

Ashish Kakkad: oh, good I am happy to hear that. Let us start recommending training and ongoing mechanism, maybe we can have that as a voting item for next meeting.

Adam Vallejo: agree

Ashish Kakkad to Maria Cranston:

Will this be tasked to anyone specific?

No response

Ashish Kakkad: Would anyone like to volunteer to draft that to bring to the next meeting? If no volunteers, I can work on it.

Adam Vallejo: I can help but I am not comfortable leading it.

Milad Dalju: What item number is this on the agenda?

Ashish Kakkad: This is for item number six.

Ashish Kakkad: I want to make sure I am not breaking any rules. Am I able to work with **Justin Riedel** and **Adam Vallejo**?

Milad Dalju: if your meeting is two people that is okay, otherwise three becomes a subcommittee.

Ashish Kakkad: Understood, I will reach out to **Adam Vallejo** to start drafting that. Anything else on item six?

Any public comment on items number six?

No response.

Migrating from ORI/Mnemonic Paradigm to Role-Based Access

Ashish Kakkad: moving on to item seven. I will turn the floor over to DOJ.

Kirk Beardwood: Not sure how to approach, I have not read the materials on it. But to those who have they will agree it is very complex. If FBI wants to know about the users, then I am interested in that conversation. How are we as the agency handling FBI requirements? How will it affect the agencies? What do the agencies want to see from the FBI? How do we tackle that problem that they want to know certain things about the user? How do we handle system related issues? How do we collectively solve this problem?

Ashish Kakkad: its sounds like this is still in the early stages. Has anything been published?

Kirk Beardwood: I have seen a list, but I am not sure if any thing has been published. I am not sure where it is in the flow.

Ashish Kakkad: if this was more solidified then we can research it. But from what you share its up and coming and lots of unknown. We might need to wait until DOJ sends out an official memo.

Maria Cranston to Kirk Bearwood: Have you seen 6.2

Kirk Beardwood: no, I have not, I didn't have a chance to review it.

Maria Cranston: I glance at the text in red, is this what you're talking about?

Kirk Beardwood: I would need to research the paper.

Maria Cranston: After this meeting look at this and see if that helps.

Maria to Milad Dalju: 5.6 new release is addressing this topic; can it be shared?

Milad Dalju it is okay to release unless it is one on one.

Kirk Breawood: there is a lot is covered under that section, we should have a conversation about 5.6

Ashish Kakkad:

Anything else? Can someone take the lead on 5.6 and brief the committee? It will Focus on Ori and role base.

Kirk Beardwood: I can help but can't lead.

Ashish Kakkad: Any one on committee?

let me take a step back, is this something we need to look at? or is there other things that are more important.

Maria Cranston: Before any decisions are made, I would like everyone to know this will affect all agencies. This is very complex I suggest for all the members to read it and be prepared to discuss it at the next meeting.

Justin Riedel: agreed

Ashish Kakkad: agreed, it gives everyone time to create a potential plan.

Joey Williamson: agreed, I am not tech savvy, we need more time.

Ashish Kakkad: I agree it is critical to have operational and technical input.

Deirdre Todd- Miller: Agree it give us time to read and possibly consult with our IT to better understand what is going on.

Ashish Kakkad: Anything else before opening to public comment?

No response.

Ashish Kakkad: any other ideas?

-- *Missing conversation, multiple people speaking* --

Maria Cranston: Is it worth pursuing ng911? can It be leveraged?

Kirk Beardwood – based on the CAC meeting, it cannot be leveraged.

Maria Cranston– as it stands now it will not work, but once it is done and rolled out it can be adjusted.

Ashish Kakkad- Since it is a direct recommendation from the committee, I want to add an Invitation to - CALOES to the next meeting.

Kirk Beardwood agrees.

Adam Vallejo agrees.

Maria Cranston: (*mentioned*) Ng911 was requested as well by chief white.

Ashish Kakkad to committee members:

anything else

no response.

Ashish Kakkad to **Maria Cranston:**

could we get an update on what happen with the outage?

I would like to know so we can start building a plan. Can the committee bring something to the table to help?

Maria Cranston: I will see if someone is available.

Ashish Kakkad to everyone:

any thoughts?

no response

Next meeting, we will have 4-5 very specific topics.

Opening for public comment

Anything they want us to consider for the next meeting?

No response

opening for public comments on items not on the agenda? (Asked twice)

No response

Ashish Kakkad: (scheduling the next meeting suggested Feb or March)

Kirk Beardwood: March

Adam Vallejo: March

Do we want in person or hybrid?

Tracy Webber – (calina **event**) is March 5-March 8

Ashish Kakkad, can we do March 9th? In person, i can host

Deirdre Todd-Miller: agree

Joey Williamson: agree

Kirk Beardwood - remote

Justin Riedel - remote

Ashish Kakkad:

The next meeting will be hybrid March 9th at 10am

Ashish Kakkad anything else?

No response

Meeting adjourned at 11:02.

