Becoming A DOJ Certified Instructor And Maintaining Current DOJ Certified Instructor Certification
Effective January 1, 2015, all DOJ Certified Instructor applicants are required to have a valid Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and must obtain a COE prior to submitting an application as a DOJ Certified Instructor.
The Certificate of Eligibility application with instructions (form BOF 4008) is available at http://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/forms. A Request for Live Scan Service (form BCIA 8016) is attached to the COE application. Please note that COEs must be renewed annually. The COE processing time is approximately 30 days.
Once you have obtained your COE number from the Bureau of Firearms, you can apply to become a DOJ Certified Instructor by completing a Firearm Safety Certificate (FSC) Program DOJ Certified Instructor application (form BOF 037) available at https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/forms or apply online through the FSC Certified Instructor Firearm Certification System at https://fcs.doj.ca.gov/login.do. Please note that a DOJ Certified Instructor's certification is valid for five years provided he or she maintains a valid COE. The processing time for manual applications is up to four weeks and online applications is 3-4 business days.
To renew DOJ Certified Instructor certification a FSC Program DOJ Certified Instructor application (form BOF 037) available at https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/forms must be submitted with the renewal box checked or renewing online through the FSC Certified Instructor Firearm Certification System at https://fcs.doj.ca.gov/login.do and accepting the Conditions of Use.
Firearm Safety Certificate Program
Effective January 1, 2015, the Handgun Safety Certificate program was replaced with the Firearm Safety Certificate (FSC) program. Under the FSC program, requirements that previously applied to handguns only now apply to all firearms (handguns and long guns), unless exempt. A list of exemptions is available on this website.
A valid Handgun Safety Certificate can still be used to purchase/acquire handguns only until it expires. For long gun purchases/acquisitions made January 1, 2015, and thereafter, an FSC will be required. Once an FSC is obtained, it can be used for both handgun and long gun purchases/acquisitions.
FSCs are acquired by taking and passing a written test on firearm safety, generally at participating firearms dealerships and private firearms training facilities. A Firearm Safety Certificate Study Guide to help individuals prepare for the FSC test is available for viewing/downloading from this website. A Firearm Safety webinar is also available for viewing or download on the Videos page.
The firearm safety demonstration protocols and DOJ Certified Instructor standards have been established and implemented by DOJ. An explanation of the firearm safety demonstration can be found starting on page 12 of the Firearm Safety Certificate Study Guide.
The following forms and publications are available at http://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/forms
Update: These forms now contain fields you can fill in on-screen by first downloading and saving the form to your computer.
- Comparable Entity Application (BOF 946)
- DOJ Certified Instructor Application (BOF 037)
- Safe Handling Demonstration Affidavit (BOF 039)
- FSC Manual (revised January 2015)
- FSC Study Guide (revised January 2015)
- FSC Study Guide-Spanish (revised January 2015)
For additional information regarding the FSC program, please review the following or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Specified Training Organizations In Firearms Safety
Organizations Specified by Penal Code section 31635, subdivision (b) as providing Acceptable Firearms Safety Training.
Penal Code section 31635, subdivision (b), authorizes Department of Justice to certify individuals possessing a training certificate from an organization enumerated under this subdivision to be a DOJ Certified Instructor.
The training organizations specified under Penal Code section 31635, subdivision (b) are:
- Department of Consumer Affairs, State of California-Firearm Training Instructor.
- Director of Civilian Marksmanship, Instructor or Rangemaster.
- Federal Government, Certified Rangemaster or Firearm Instructor.
- Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, Firearm Instructor Training Program or Rangemaster.
- United States Military, Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) as marksmanship or firearms instructor. Assignment as Range Officer or Safety Officer is not sufficient.
- National Rifle Association-Certified Instructor, Law Enforcement Instructor, Rangemaster, or Training Counselor.
- Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST), State of California-Firearm Instructor or Rangemaster.
- Authorization from a State of California accredited school to teach a firearm training course.
Comparable Training In Firearms Safety
Entities Recognized by DOJ as Providing Comparable Firearm Safety Training to Those Entities Specified by Penal Code section 31635, subdivision (b).
Penal Code section 31635, subdivision (b) authorizes the California Department of Justice (DOJ) to recognize entities which provide firearms safety training comparable to the entities specified within that subdivision. Individuals possessing a Certificate of Completion from any of the entities so recognized by DOJ may apply to be a DOJ Certified Instructor.
The entities recognized by DOJ as providing firearms safety training comparable to the entities specified by Penal Code section 31635, subdivision (b) are:
- 2nd Amendment Sports, Bakersfield, (661) 323-4512
- American Alert Security Services, Inc., Lake Elsinore, (951) 245-2637
- Atascadero Firearms, Atascadero, (805) 460-9453
- Baptist Security Training, Frazier Baptist, Vacaville, (707) 386-2689
- Basic Gun Safety, Huntington Beach, (714) 864-0203
- Black Wolf Training, William Heyder, Oceanside, (760) 402-0619
- Bolt Defense, San Francisco, (571) 969-4867
- Bullet Recovery Systems, Plymouth, (530) 308-4747
- BullsEyeTactical Firearms Training, Castella, (530) 235-0721
- California Firearms Institute, William Flory, Menifee, (951) 928-2794
- California Firearms Safety School, San Francisco & Monterey, (415) 816-0099
- CCW USA Firearms Training, Santee, (619) 871-9834
- Cool Safety, LLC, Lloyd Lantz, Alameda, (510) 541-3580
- Defensive Accuracy, Lodi, (408) 687-3791
- Dobbs Firearm Training, Suisun City, (888) 486-0250
- Double Tap Training, Granada Hills, (818) 363-1777
- Down Range Indoor Training Center, William Clark, Chico, (530) 896-1992
- El Cajon Gun Exchange, El Cajon, (619) 579-5152
- Firearms Training Associates, Yorba Linda, (714) 701-9918
- Firearms Training Institute, San Jose, (408) 506-1884
- Five Star Firearms and Training, Truckee, (530) 587-5239
- FSC Instructor Training Course, William Tidwell, Alameda or Mariposa Counties,
(510) 552-4742 or (209) 878-3056
- Get Qualified Firearms Training Academy, Placerville, (530) 306-6132
- The Grant Boys, Costa Mesa, (949) 645-3400
- Greenhorn Outfitter, LLC, Bakersfield, (661) 319-5426
- The Gun School, Danny R. Wells, Tulare, Kings, Monterey, San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties, (559) 936-9909
- Gun World, Burbank, (818) 238-9071
- Gunrunner, Merced, (209) 723-3006
- Hammer Stryke Self-Reliance Training, Inc (209) 614-1718
- Herb Bauer Sporting Goods, Inc., Fresno, (559) 435-8600
- Hillside Range (209) 827-0270
- I Can Defend, Peter Schultz, Ramona, (760) 789-0987
- Jackson Arms Shooting Range, Edmund Normandy, (415) 207-1760
- Jess Farmer Gun's, Jess Farmer Sr., Rosamond, (661) 406-9680
- LAX Firing Range, Inc., Avery Nolan, Inglewood, (310) 568-1515
- Lock n Load Concealed Carry Training, David Lungren, Roseville, (916) 705-2258
- Marshall Security Training Academy, Edmon Muradyan, Los Angeles, (323) 660-0636
- Martin B. Retting Inc., Alex Reyes, Culver City, (310) 837-2412
- Mike Lee Solutions (707) 834-5602
- Modern Warrior Gunsmithing, Jonathan Katz, Encino, (323) 205-5289
- NorCal Med Tac, , Brannon Schell, Aptos, (831) 970-0440
- On Target Firearms Instruction, Modesto, (209) 575-2308
- OSOS Security Services Training Facility, Mill Valley, (415) 519-3549
- Peabody’s Gun Range, Geof Peabody, Placerville, CA, 916-644-0991
- Peter Koch Associates, Gary Morgan, Placerville, Sacramento, (530) 642-1400
- Peter Koch Associates, Matt Curry, Sonoma County, (707) 544-9600
- Peter Koch Associates, Ziyad Showket, Marin County, (415) 457-6900
- Peter Ray, Millville, (530) 547-3633
- Powers Security Training, Bakersfield, (661) 871-7273
- Premier Tactical Training, Fresno, (559) 779-7742
- Pro-Right, Valley Springs, (209) 786-2922
- Range Master, John Perry, San luis Obispo, (805) 545-0322
- The Range, Grass Valley, (530) 273-4440
- Realtime Tactical Solutions (916) 804-2104
- Responsible Firearms Education, Terry Atchison, Ridgecrest, (661) 810-3025
- Riverside Magnum Range, Riverside, (909) 731-7031
- Rynearson Safety Training, Redding, (530) 524-3288
- Sacramento Gun Club, Kendall Jones, Sacramento, (916) 265-0363
- Safe Gun Handling Course, Mike Green, Elk Grove, (916) 714-4867
- Safe Insight, LLC, Lynnwood, WA (417) 233-1444
- Safety and Firearm Training Center, Gregory Raabe, Sacramento, (916) 366-1911
- Safety Firearm Training, John Holder, Ukiah, (707) 489-3380
- Seale Enterprises, Chris Seale, Olivehurst, (530) 632-4101
- Shoot Safe, Jason Granados, Huntington Beach, (714) 625-1507
- Shoot Safe Learning, Torrance, (310) 464-0855
- Southern Shooting Supply, Tehachapi, (661) 823-1223
- Total Commitment Firearms Training (408) 226-9190
- Valley Defense Consulting, Inc., Vince Bizzini, Modesto, (209) 552-5728
- Valley Gun, Inc., Bakersfield, (661) 352-9468
- Wayne Summers, Soquel, (831) 239-4630
- Westcoast Firearms Training, Eureka, (707) 601-1030
- William M E Mclaren, William Mclaren, Oceanside, (858) 337-7876
- Wolf Dynamics, Luis Lopez, Los Angeles, Temecula, (888) 892-1767