Privacy Enforcement and Protection
Californians have a constitutionally guaranteed right to privacy, and protecting their privacy rights is one of Attorney General Kamala D. Harris’s top priorities. In the 21st century, we share and store our most sensitive personal information on phones, computers and even in “the cloud.” Today more than ever, a strong privacy program is essential to the safety and welfare of the people of California and to our economy.
The Department of Justice’s Privacy Enforcement and Protection Unit:
- Enforces state and federal privacy laws.
- Empowers Californians by showing them how to better control their personal information when they use innovative technologies.
- Promotes smart online behavior by offering timely resources for consumers, parents and educators.
- Works with companies on privacy trends and offers best practice guidance.
- Advises the Attorney General on privacy matters.
Use the resources on the right and learn about protecting your sensitive information and the information others have entrusted to you.