SAN FRANCISCO – A year after enforcement of the nation’s toughest privacy law began, California Attorney General Rob Bonta today announced successful enforcement efforts and urged more Californians to take advantage of their new rights. The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) provides consumers with groundbreaking rights over their personal information. Attorney General Bonta reported that upon receiving a notice of alleged violation, 75% of businesses acted to come into compliance within the 30-day statutory cure period. The remaining 25% of businesses that received a notice of alleged violation are either within the 30-day cure period or are under active investigation. In addition, the California Department of Justice is seeing a wide range of numbers of consumer requests reported by businesses as required under the law. Among similarly sized and scoped companies, some have reported requests in the millions while others in the hundreds. Attorney General Bonta also launched a new online tool that allows consumers to directly notify businesses of potential violations.
“Enforcement of the CCPA marks an enormous step for privacy protection in California, particularly at this time after the COVID-19 pandemic moved so much of our lives online. We’re happy to announce that we are seeing great progress with our CCPA enforcement, but there’s more work to be done,” said Attorney General Bonta. “Plain and simple: Exercise your rights under the CCPA. Any Californian is empowered to opt out of the sale of their personal information online. Consumers can also join our enforcement efforts with our new Data Privacy Protection Tool that allows anyone to notice a business that appears to be out of compliance with CCPA.”
On July 1, 2020, the California Department of Justice began enforcing the CCPA by notifying businesses found not to be in compliance with the law. Under the CCPA, businesses that received notices had 30 days to cure or fix the alleged violation before an enforcement action can be initiated. Notices to cure have been issued to entities including data brokers, marketing companies, businesses handling children’s information, media outlets, and online retailers. Examples of notices to cure included:
Finally, Attorney General Bonta encouraged all Californians to utilize their privacy rights. Under the CCPA, California consumers have the following rights: