Research and Data Renewal Process
The California Department of Justice research and data request approval is granted for one year. At the end of that time, the Team Leader of the ongoing project must submit a request for a renewal. The Team Leader will receive a 90-day notice to begin the renewal process. Requests to continue or modify research projects should be made on official letterhead signed by the Team Lead and must include the following:
- Any personnel changes (removal or addition of the lead researcher or other team members, updated contact information for each),
- a. any new additional staff will need to go through the CA DOJ background check process and complete any necessary paperwork.
- Technology changes (e.g. any new software or hardware changes, are you now using a cloud-based system),
- Environmental changes (e.g. any new changes to the location or procedures around where the data is stored or where the data is accessed).
In addition, we require the following items to be submitted with your renewal application:
- The name and contact information of your organization’s Chief Security Officer (if you don’t have a CSO, this is the person we would contact should there be a breach in your data security),
- Your approved Institutional Review Board (IRB) project applications (if applicable),
- Certification of Human Subjects Protection training for each authorized staff. If you do not have training, the following training is free to register and complete: https://phrp.nihtraining.com/users/login.php (Valid for 2 years)
The letter and required attachments can be submitted by mail to the department at:
California Department of Justice
Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigative Services
PO Box 903417, G-110
Sacramento, CA 94203-4170
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (916) 210-3260.