About the CalGang® Unit
Established in 2018 as a result of the Fair and Accurate Gang Database Act of 2017, the CalGang unit administers and oversees the CalGang database. The units’ responsibilities include writing regulations governing the use, operation, and oversight of any shared gang database, including CalGang, conducting training and audits as subject matter experts, publishing annual reporting on the usage of CalGang, and acting as system administrators of the CalGang database.
In alignment with the Attorney General’s mission to ensure justice, safety, and liberty for everyone, the CalGang unit:
- Strives to maintain a fair and accurate database that protects individual rights while providing law enforcement investigators with useful intelligence to solve crime and protect the public.
- Collaborates with participating law enforcement agencies and community members to maintain fairness and protect individual rights for all people through policy development.
- Commits to making impartial and informed decisions about shared gang databases through asking tough questions, seeking and listening to public comment, and conducting research.
- Ensures system integrity and transparency through regular training, audits, and reporting.
- Facilitates system enhancements to provide quality intelligence data to support law enforcement and community efforts to reduce gang violence in California communities.
- Oversees shared gang database system discipline and conformity with applicable state and federal regulations, statutes, and guidelines.