• Subscribe to the AG's RSS Feed
  • Join the AG's FaceBook
  • Follow the AG on Twitter
  • View the AG's YouTube Channel

Legal Opinions of the Attorney General - Contact the Opinion Unit

To request a copy of an existing opinion, please contact:

  • Office of the Attorney General
  • Opinion Unit, Dept. of Justice
  • Attn: Stephanie Grimes
  • P.O. Box 944255
  • Sacramento, CA 94244-2550

Use this e-mail form to request a copy of an existing opinion or to express your questions or comments concerning the Attorney General Opinions. To submit your comments concerning pending matters appearing on the Monthly Opinion Report, please contact the Deputy Attorney General assigned to the matter by returning to the Monthly Opinion Report page and click on the assigned Deputy listed for that matter. Further contact information is available in the side bar menu under How to Solicit Views on Assigned Opinion Requests.

For other types of questions, comments and complaints, please contact the Public Inquiry Unit.

Please note, under Government Code section 12519, the Attorney General has statutory authority to give his/her opinion in writing to the following authorized requestors: constitutional officers, state legislators, state agencies, judges, district attorneys, county counsels, city prosecutors and sheriffs.

If you are a member of the public and you need legal advice, please contact a Private Attorney.

* Indicates a Required Field

Your Information
Your Message
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.


Receive Opinions and Monthly Reports

How to Submit a Question of Law for AG Consideration

The Attorney General is authorized to give opinions on questions of law to state legislators, heads of state departments, district attorneys, county counsels, sheriffs, and to city attorneys in their prosecutorial capacities. For more information about requesting an opinion, please see our FAQs and the Guidelines for AG Opinions.pdf a downloadable resource provided for users' reference.

To submit a request, or to ask questions about how to submit a request, please contact:

  • Susan Duncan Lee
  • Senior Assistant Attorney General
  • Office of the Attorney General
  • Opinion Unit, Dept. of Justice
  • 455 Golden Gate Ave., Suite 11000
  • San Francisco, CA 94102

  • Susan.Lee@doj.ca.gov

Megan's Law

California Registered Sex Offender Database

Search Now

Site Navigation

Translate Website

  • Google™ Translation Disclaimer

This Google™ translation feature is provided for informational purposes only.

The Office of the Attorney General is unable to guarantee the accuracy of this translation and is therefore not liable for any inaccurate information resulting from the translation application tool.

Please consult with a translator for accuracy if you are relying on the translation or are using this site for official business.

If you have any questions please contact:Bilingual Services Program at (916) 324-5482

A copy of this disclaimer can also be found on our Disclaimer page.

Select a Language Below / Seleccione el Idioma Abajo

Close this box or use the [ X ]