Financial Services

You can file a complaint about your bank or lender with the Attorney General's Public Inquiry Unit. Complaints are used by the Attorney General's Office to get information about misconduct and to determine whether to investigate a company. However, we cannot give legal advice or provide legal assistance to individuals.

You may also want to file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, which will forward your complaint to the company for a response or, if another agency can better help you, will forward your complaint to that agency.

You can also file a complaint with the bank or lender's regulator. You can ask your bank or lender who its state or federal regulator is, or read the information below.

If Your Bank/Lender Is A Credit Union:

If your bank or lender is a credit union, find out if it is federally chartered or state chartered. To do so, find it in the National Credit Union Administration's Find Credit Unions web page and check the "Charter State" field. If that field says "N/A", the credit union is federally chartered.

If Your Bank/Lender Is Not A Credit Union:

Find out if your bank or lender is regulated by a federal agency. To do so, use the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council's Consumer Help Center. If your bank or lender is federally regulated, the Help Center will state who the federal regulator is:

If you cannot find your bank or lender in the Help Center, see if it is doing business under a different name by checking the National Bank Operating Subsidiary List. Find the name of the parent national bank and use the Help Center to find its regulator.

If you still cannot find your bank or lender, you can file your complaint with the state regulator that supervises the bank. Complaints about banks and lenders chartered in California may be filed with the Department of Financial Protection and Innovation (DFPI). To find other states' regulators, see the Conference of State Bank Supervisors Directory of State Banking Departments.