People may encounter numerous problems with insurance, including healthcare insurance. Below, you will find information on how to report various types of insurance-related complaints. For healthcare insurance information, please see the Health Care page.

Non-Healthcare Insurance

To report problems with non-healthcare insurance companies, insurance agents or brokers, title insurers, underwritten title companies, surety bonds, bail agents, or annuities, contact the California Department of Insurance online or by calling their consumer help line: (800) 927-4357 or (800) 482-4833 (TTY).

To verify an insurance agent’s or broker’s license, search here.