About the AG

  • Subscribe to the AG's RSS Feed
  • Join the AG's FaceBook
  • Follow the AG on Twitter
  • View the AG's YouTube Channel

Attorneys / Lawyers

Finding a Lawyer

The Attorney General by law does not represent private individuals and does not provide legal advice, legal research or legal analysis to private individuals under any circumstances. The Attorney General's Office also cannot refer you to an attorney.

If you need legal advice or someone to handle your case, contact a private attorney. To find a lawyer, check with your county bar association's attorney referral service. The State Bar of California and the California Courts also offer helpful public services. You can find the telephone number for your county bar association under the listing of "Associations."

Additional information on Lawyer Referral Services are available from the State Bar.

If you cannot afford a private attorney, assistance may be available through a local Legal Aid Society.

State & Federal Laws

You can search California laws on the Internet

California Law

View a checklist of significant California consumer laws

CA Dept of Consumer Affairs

Search U.S. laws on the Internet at U.S. Code

U.S. Code

Complaints about a Lawyer

If you have a complaint about a lawyer, contact the State Bar of California.

The State Bar has exclusive jurisdiction for attorney discipline and alleged violations of the State Bar Act or Rules of Professional Conduct.

Allegations of criminal conduct should be referred to the district attorney in which the alleged crime occurred.

To learn more, see the
State Bar's Overview of Attorney Discipline.

To file a complaint, contact:

The State Bar of California

(toll-free in California)

(from outside California)

Megan's Law

California Registered Sex Offender Database

Search Now

Megan's Law information is also available in these languages:

Site Navigation

Translate Website

  • Google™ Translation Disclaimer

This Google™ translation feature is provided for informational purposes only.

The Office of the Attorney General is unable to guarantee the accuracy of this translation and is therefore not liable for any inaccurate information resulting from the translation application tool.

Please consult with a translator for accuracy if you are relying on the translation or are using this site for official business.

If you have any questions please contact:Bilingual Services Program at (916) 324-5482

A copy of this disclaimer can also be found on our Disclaimer page.

Select a Language Below / Seleccione el Idioma Abajo

Close this box or use the [ X ]