About the AG

  • Subscribe to the AG's RSS Feed
  • Join the AG's FaceBook
  • Follow the AG on Twitter
  • View the AG's YouTube Channel


If you have a complaint about a privately owned utility company, contact the California Public Utilities Commission (PUC). The PUC regulates privately owned electric, natural gas and water companies such as Pacific Gas & Electric and Southern California Edison.

Complaints about publicly owned utilities should be addressed to the governing boards of the municipal utility.

Telephone Companies

As with most disputes, your first step should be to try to resolve your complaint directly with the company providing the telephone services, including wireless communications. If you cannot resolve the complaint yourself, then consider filing a complaint with the proper regulatory agency.

If you believe your telephone bill is incorrect, contact your telephone company's customer service office immediately at the telephone number printed on the front of your bill.

If you are not satisfied with the company's response, you may file a complaint with the California Public Utilities Commission. If necessary to keep service on during the investigation, you may deposit the billing amount in dispute with the commission.

California Public Utilities Commission
Consumer Affairs Branch
505 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102
Phone: (800) 649-7570

If you have complaints about telephone service from one state to another (interstate), international calls and wireless service, contact the Federal Communications Commission.

Federal Communications Commission
Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau Consumer Complaints
445 12th Street SW
Washington, D.C. 20554
Phone: (888) 225-5322

If you believe your long-distance service was switched without your knowledge and consent ("slammed"), you should file a complaint with both the California Public Utilities Commission and the Federal Communications Commission.

State & Federal Laws

You can search California laws on the Internet

California Law

View a checklist of significant California consumer laws

CA Dept of Consumer Affairs

Search U.S. laws on the Internet at U.S. Code

U.S. Code

Megan's Law

California Registered Sex Offender Database

Search Now

Site Navigation

Translate Website

  • Google™ Translation Disclaimer

This Google™ translation feature is provided for informational purposes only.

The Office of the Attorney General is unable to guarantee the accuracy of this translation and is therefore not liable for any inaccurate information resulting from the translation application tool.

Please consult with a translator for accuracy if you are relying on the translation or are using this site for official business.

If you have any questions please contact:Bilingual Services Program at (916) 324-5482

A copy of this disclaimer can also be found on our Disclaimer page.

Select a Language Below / Seleccione el Idioma Abajo

Close this box or use the [ X ]