Compliance and Enforcement
The Compliance and Enforcement Section (CES) is decentralized into two regions: CES-North and CES-South, each under the direction of a Special Agent in Charge. CES-North includes the Sacramento Regional Office and Redding and Fresno Field Offices. CES-South includes the Los Angeles Regional Office, and San Diego and Riverside Field Offices. CES Special Agents and Field Representatives monitor gambling operations within California and provide specialized investigative support to minimize criminal involvement, ensure compliance with the law, and bring accusations to the attention of the California Gambling Control Commission on problematic cardroom violations. CES-North is responsible for 65 cardrooms and 35 tribal casinos, while CES-South has 26 cardrooms and 25 tribal casinos.
Special Agents and Field Representatives monitor the 91 cardroom gambling establishments and 60 tribal casinos in California by:
- Implementing routine inspections of gambling operations;
- Targeting non-compliant gambling establishments;
- Investigating suspected violations of the Gambling Control Act and other gambling laws;
- Safeguarding against embezzlement of gambling establishment's profits and money laundering;
- Investigating complaints lodged against licensees or other persons;
- Coordinating multi-jurisdictional criminal investigations involving gambling establishments with local, state, and federal agencies; and
- Examining the integrity and legality of gaming devices and equipment.
CES conducts gaming related investigations involving bookmaking, loan sharking, burglary, robbery, counterfeiting, extortion, cheating scams, illegal gaming, embezzlement, narcotic distribution, and prostitution, to name a few. CES works with numerous local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies, as well as local, state, and federal prosecutors.
- Gambling Establishment's Compliance Inspection Checklist, pdf
- Gambling Control Incident Report Form, pdf