Major League Sports Raffle Program
Overview Of The Program
The California legislature enacted Senate Bill 549 which added section 320.6 to the Penal Code, authorizing major league sports franchises or to conduct 50/50 charitable raffles at home game sporting events effective January 1, 2016. This new legislation allows California professional sports teams and associations to conduct these raffles, whereby 50% of the proceeds from the sale of raffle tickets go to the qualified eligible charity for that particular event or to the professional sports team’s own charitable foundation, and the other 50% goes to the winning ticket holder attending the event.
California Penal Code Section 320.6 authorizes the Department of Justice to promulgate regulations necessary to effectuate the statute, including emergency regulations, pursuant to the Administrative Procedures Act. The Bureau of Gambling Control has drafted emergency regulations to implement the provisions of the newly enacted statute. These regulations comply with SB 549 to implement the major league sports raffles, including implementing a registration program for eligible organizations, affiliated persons of eligible organizations, and manufacturers and distributors of raffle-related products or services. The regulations also include the forms required of the regulated community to comply with the various aspects of the regulation. The approved emergency regulations can be found here.
- BGC 200: Major League Sports Raffle Eligible Organization Annual Registration Form, pdf
- BGC 201: Major League Sports Raffle Manufacturer and Distributor Annual Registration Form, pdf
- BGC 202: Major League Sports Raffle Manual Draw Supervisor Registration Form, pdf
- BGC 203 Major League Sports Raffle Eligible Organization Annual Report, pdf
- BGC 204 Major League Sports Raffle Eligible Organization Registered Event Registration Form, pdf
- BGC 205 Major League Sports Raffle Eligible Organization-Equipment Registration Form, pdf
- BGC 206 Major League Sports Raffle Electronic Raffle System and Equipment Checklist and Test Draw, pdf
An eligible organization should submit a registration form for itself (BGC 200), a registration form for affiliated persons (BGC 203), an equipment registration form (BGC 206), and a raffle registration form (BGC 205).
Please note: For identification verification, you must provide the government issued identification number for each person applying for registration. If the government issued form of identification provided is not a California driver license or identification card, please indicate on the BGC form from which state/entity it was issued.
In order for the Bureau to process registration applications, the required form(s) must be complete, signed, and accompanied with any fee (if required).
Phone: (916) 830-1700