About the AG

  • Subscribe to the AG's RSS Feed
  • Join the AG's FaceBook
  • Follow the AG on Twitter
  • View the AG's YouTube Channel


State law requires that every owner, lessee or employee of a gambling establishment obtain and, thereafter, maintain a valid state gambling license. The Bureau of Gambling Control (Bureau) investigates the qualifications of individuals who apply for state gambling licenses to determine whether they are suitable and to ensure that gambling is conducted honestly, competitively and free from criminal and corruptive elements.

Gambling License

An owner of a gambling establishment must apply for and obtain a valid state gambling license from the Bureau and the California Gambling Control Commission (Commission). The Bureau's Licensing staff will conduct in-depth background investigations on applicants to determine whether they are suitable to hold a state gambling license. Suitability is determined by a number of factors including but not limited to the applicant's honesty, integrity, general character, reputation, habits, and financial and criminal history.

Additional Tables

The owner of a state-licensed gambling establishment who wishes to operate additional tables on a temporary or permanent basis must submit a request to operate additional tables to the Commission. The number of tables requested cannot exceed the total number of tables authorized under local and state law for the gambling establishment.

Game/Gaming Activity Approval

All controlled games (pai-gow, poker, etc.) and gaming activities (jackpots, bonuses, tournaments, etc.) must be approved by the Bureau and must comply with local gaming ordinances prior to their play at a licensed gambling establishment within California.

Key Employees

Every person employed in the operation of a gambling establishment in a supervisory capacity or empowered to make discretionary decisions that regulate gambling operations must apply for a license as a key employee.

Work Permits

Any person employed in a gambling establishment as a dealer, secretary, waiter or waitress; floor, security, countroom, cage, collection, surveillance or data-processing personnel; appropriate maintenance personnel; or any person whose employment duties require or authorize access to restricted gambling establishment areas must obtain a work permit. The work permit will be issued by the local jurisdiction or the Commission.

Third-Party Providers of Proposition Player Services

State law and Commission regulations require all primary owners, other owners, supervisors, players, and other employees of third-party providers of proposition player services to register with and obtain a badge from the Commission. In addition, before proposition player services can be provided in a California gambling establishment, the primary owner must submit the written contract and the playing book forms to the Bureau for approval. Primary owners, other owners, employees, and independent contractors of third-party providers of proposition players who do not have a written, an oral, or an implied agreement with the gambling establishment are required to register with and obtain a badge from the Commission as a gambling business.

Megan's Law

California Registered Sex Offender Database

Search Now

Site Navigation

Translate Website

  • Google™ Translation Disclaimer

This Google™ translation feature is provided for informational purposes only.

The Office of the Attorney General is unable to guarantee the accuracy of this translation and is therefore not liable for any inaccurate information resulting from the translation application tool.

Please consult with a translator for accuracy if you are relying on the translation or are using this site for official business.

If you have any questions please contact:Bilingual Services Program at (916) 324-5482

A copy of this disclaimer can also be found on our Disclaimer page.

Select a Language Below / Seleccione el Idioma Abajo

Close this box or use the [ X ]